Monday, August 11, 2008

FAQ: How to lose weight!

A: Get involved in a physical trauma or go sunbathe/sauna or even starve yourself for as long as you can. Or you can even go for a hair cut. =) In the first place, the question is wrong.

Correct question: How do I lower my body fat so I can see my abdominal muscles?

Why should you listen to me you’re wondering? Aren’t I just another scam? I’m downright logical. I’m downright precise. I’m downright delicious and sexeh. I’ll prove it to you (except for the last one). You do the math later. By staying in my own anti-social world I’ve discovered all the undergrounds and shortcuts about sculpturing a body. (Note: I did not say fitness) Everything I’m about to tell you comes from experience. I have a very responsive body, no friends and 20070 hours to back my research and development.

Before you read on, you must know that I AM NOT just another conventional 6-packs chaser who will ask you to do cardio and starve yourself. With that being said, get ready for a revolutionary idea.

Losing or putting on weight is all about metabolism. So today’s topic will be metabolism. It consists of catabolism and anabolism pathways. Catabolism means breaking down and anabolism means building up. It’s as layman as it can get. It’s an ongoing process, but at certain times and task, the body either undergoes catabolic or anabolic more dominantly (note: MORE DOMINANTLY).

Anabolic state is dominant when you eat CERTAIN food and catabolic state is dominant when there is physical stress. For all you bioscienphysiopharmanutritionist you might relate to what I’m saying so continue to read on. If you’re lazy, skip all the way to the 3 asterisks.

-----
You see, until today, science only produces more questions. There has been speculation that growth hormone is actually partially catabolic and metabolic at times. I came to realize that to understand our body we have to conduct experiments on our own body. Do not entirely believe books. As far as losing weight is concerned, we shall touch on catabolism only.

Catabolism:
Now, picture yourself as an individual Cortisol compound. Do you think at your size you can differentiate a muscle and a fat tissue? More over, you don’t have any of the 5 senses. Since you stimulate destruction, all you do is destroying anything you come in contact with. Catabolic hormones will compensate the body’s molecules to generate ATP and many other undiscovered pathways to discontinue further damage, a.k.a. homeostasis agent. In this case we’re only concern about muscles and fats. There are more muscles than fat in the body so the chances of picking muscles are higher to be catabolized. The challenge is of course changing the focus to burning off more fat instead of muscles. That being said, stimulating lipolysis would be the main objective. Gluconeogenesis is another pathway which converts non-carbohydrate sources into glucose for energy. Apparently lipolysis and gluconeogenesis happens at a higher rate when the rate of insulin secretion is lower. A Glycemic Index chart would come in handy.

***
People who diet wrongly do not achieve a tight midsection. Midsection is where fat deposits the most and failure to tighten it means failure to stimulate more lipolysis in ratio to gluconeogenesis. Physical stress should not be thought as external but also internal. Eating a high protein diet causes stress due to the fact that protein is harder to digest.

What I did when I dropped from 73kg to 67kg in 7 weeks:

  • Firstly, plan your day. Eat every 3 hours consistently. There is no such obligations like eating 6 times a day. I’m only awake for 14 hours a day, I eat only 5, sometimes 4 times a day.
  • What to eat you ask? A generous and comfortable amount of low Glycemic Index carbohydrate every meal. I used to eat 5 slices of whole-grain bread every 3 hours. There is no need to starve. (side note: low GI has correlation with improving facial skin complexion)
  • Double the current amount of protein intake. 1 egg white is 4g of protein. With yolk would be 7g. Unsure of others? Google or ask me.
  • Consume generous amount of unsaturated fat. Spend some cash on fish oils. Unsaturated fats coupled up with saturated ones and gets excreted. This is one thing everyone misses out.
  • Never miss breakfast. Never miss supper also.
  • wtf?! Supper?! You heard me right. But it will only be an apple and 2 tabs of fish oil. Sleep IMMEDIATELY. (side note: apparently I discovered eating apples immediately before sleep helps with facial complexion)
  • An example of a lunch of mine would be RM7 chicken breast, no sauce. Then I would pack 5 slices of whole-grain bread and eat it together. Down 500ml water. Repeat every 3 hours.

I hope that helped you learn something. This is only the superficial layer so stay tune for more!


No comments: